YPSILANTI, MI (My TV20 News at 10) --- Eastern Michigan University is increasing security following this week's suspicious death of student Julia Niswender.
Ypsilanti Police found her body Tuesday night in her home at the Peninsular Place apartments.
Investigators call her death suspicious.
EMU has taken steps to help protect students:
1. Extended the walking/mobile escort service to 7 a.m. (previously ended at 3 a.m.);
2. Added additional escort staff;
3. Designated Halle Library as a station for walking and mobile escorts between 3 a.m. and 7 a.m.;
4. Added four additional campus security personnel in the overnight hours;
5. Added two additional officers to patrol from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. in addition to the normal shift coverage.
6. Adjusted lighting sensors to brighten exterior security lighting in the areas adjacent to Halle Library and the College of Business;
7. Adjusted the automatic timing patterns of the exterior lighting in the areas adjacent to Halle Library and the College of Business to have them turn on earlier (4:30 p.m. - 30 minutes before sunset) and to stay on later (8:30 a.m. - 30 minutes after sunrise)
A reminder, the walking and mobile escort service can be requested by called 734-487-3387 (734-48-SEEUS).
Counseling services remain available at 734-487-1118 in 313 Snow Health Center.
Plus, Peninsular Place has expanded its security presence to around the clock.
Anyone with information concerning this case is asked to contact Det/Sgt T.C. Eberts @ 734-482-9878 or Crimestopper's @ 1-800- SPEAKUP (773-2587).
Two candlelight vigils will be held Friday for Niswender.
The first takes place at 6:30 p.m. at Munson Park, 2770 N. Custer Road in Monroe Township.
The other will be held at 8:30 p.m. at Big Bob's Lakehouse and Pond on EMU's campus.
Meanwhile, visitation for Julia Niswender will be held from 2-8 p.m. Saturday and from 12-8 p.m. Sunday at the Rupp Funeral Home, 2345 South Custer Road in Monroe.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Redeemer Fellowship Church, 5305 Evergreen Drive in Monroe
© Copyright 2014 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.