In 2009, KEM, who still makes Detroit his home, hosted his first “Mack & Third” event (which was named for the area where many of Detroit’s homeless citizens reside), served more than 500 of Detroit’s homeless citizens a meal, collected nearly 40,000 canned goods and 20,000 people enjoyed the free event. It was KEM’s first large-scale effort to give back to Detroit’s homeless community and its services, which supported him throughout his journey from homelessness & addiction to sobriety & success.
This year KEM is holding a FREE Day-Long Concert Fundraiser & Food Drive on Sunday, August 28th at 1:00pm at Detroit’s Cass Park (intersection of 2nd & Temple) and will feature “A Message & A Meal” from KEM specifically for the homeless, several vendors with food & merchandise, and five hours of live entertainment that will include Special Musical Guest, Morris Day & The Time, and will culminate in a performance by Grammy-nominated artist KEM.
Also featured at the Mack & Third event are: Guest MC Comedian ~ Damon Williams, with Opening Acts Including Detroit's own: HotSauce; Savallace; Gwenation & Larry Lee & the Back in the Day Band
KEM will donate all proceeds, donations, merchandise & beverage revenues and canned goods collected online and at his “KEM Live @ Mack & Third” event to ten organizations that benefit Detroit’s homeless community.
The recipient organizations are:
• Covenant House
• Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries
• Harbor Light
• L.I.F.T. Women’s Resource Center
• Mariners Inn
• Neighborhood Service Organization
• Salvation Army
• Sobriety House
• Transformation Detroit
• YWCA of Metropolitan Detroit – Interim House
There will also be a Mack & Third Health Row onsite featuring organizations offering Free Health Screenings and information to the homeless and general public throughout the day.
• Department of Health and Wellness Promotion*
• Detroit Asthma Coalition
• Detroit Health Dept - Syphilis screening & education, HIV
• DMC - Diabetes and blood pressure screenings
• First Responders for Fitness/Nutritionally Yours - Nutrition and Information on basic first aid
• Karmanos - Cancer info and resources
• Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program
• Detroit Community Health Connection
The Department of Health and Wellness Promotion is also donating and distributing 500 gift bags for the homeless that will include basic necessities like toiletries. In 2009, they provided most of the health screenings for Mack & Third such as Lead testing, blood pressure and glucose testing and insurance enrollment as well as donated 500 bags for the homeless.
Here’s how you can answer KEM’s Call to Service by donating and giving back at Mack and Third:
1. Buy a Mack & Third t-shirt or beverage at the event.
2. Use donation envelopes that will be collected throughout the day.
3. Give canned goods.
4. Online via PayPal at www.mackandthird.org.
5. Text 'mackandthird' to 80802.
6. Send Cash/Check/Money Order payable to ‘Mack & Third’ to: P.O. BOX 441245, Detroit, MI 48244.
You can also donate your time on Saturday, August 27, 2011 to clean up Cass Park from 9:00am until 3:00pm visit KEM’s web site or call 313-883-1118.
GIVEAWAYS - CHEVROLET CAR, GIFT CARDS, KEM STUFF
KEM is encouraging everyone to give back by giving back a chance to win a car, gift card or KEM Merchandise. Anyone who donates a minimum of $5 can enter the drawing for a chance to win but you must be present to win. Drawings will be held throughout the day – rules and regulations can be found online.
WATCH LIVE ON LINE
If you are unable to attend you can still catch the event online. Visit www.mackandthird.org to register to watch the live webcast of KEM Live@ Mack & Third online on Sunday, August 28, 2011 and get more information on the rules and regulations of part