Streak of Preventable Kitchen Fires

By Peter Neumann

Streak of Preventable Kitchen Fires

December 19, 2013

CANTON, Mi. (My TV20 News at 10) --- Canton's fire chief says each of the three kitchen fire's his department has responded to recently could have been prevented.

The most recent kitchen fire happened Wednesday evening at a house in the 46-thousand blk of Mornington.

According to Fire Chief Josh Meier, this incident started as an accidental cooking fire, and is the third of its kind his department has responded to at residential homes this week. “Unattended cooking continues to be a leading factor in house fires across the country,” said Meier.

The fire on Mornington was contained to the kitchen area, but damage from smoke throughout the house contributed to $80,000 in damage. Everybody got out okay, but two cats died from smoke inhalation.

Says Meier, “to minimize your risk of a house fire, do not
leave cooking materials unattended on the stove for any period of time, especially when cooking with oils or grease." Meier adds, “this time of year it’s easy to get distracted with guests and activities, but it is important to remember how quickly food or other cooking materials can catch fire.”

Chief Meyer urges you to make sure you have working smoke deterctors in your home.

What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "My2Cents” comment.


© Copyright 2014 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.