ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WXYZ) — Skyline High School in Ann Arbor will be closed for classes Tuesday, September 6 due to a geothermal leak on its campus. The closure also affects all before and after school activities.
Superintendent of Ann Arbor Public Schools Jeanice Swift said in a statement Friday evening, one of the geothermal lines at the school broke causing ethylene glycol, a light green toxic liquid, to bubble up in the schools parking lot.
“A leak in the geothermal system at Skyline High School, discovered over this weekend, has been temporarily repaired. A permanent repair will be necessary that will require the installation of a temporary generator system to provide air conditioning to the Skyline building during the time of the repair.
We anticipate the temporary generator to be installed and look forward to welcoming students and staff back to resume classes and activities on Wednesday, September 7," Swift said in a statement.
She added that the break was discovered quickly and spill materials were put in place to minimize spillage into the storm drain. As a result, Swift said glycol flowing into the storm drain was minimal and did not make it off site.
"Vigorous mitigation activities will be utilized to continue to prioritize health and safety," she said. "We will provide a detailed report to EGLE once all mitigation activities are completed, and will share the full report with our Skyline, AAPS and Ann Arbor community. “