NewsNational

Family of slain Nashville musician says 2 suspects in case will be tried as adults

Family of slain Nashville musician says 2 suspects in case will be tried as adults
Posted at 8:23 AM, Feb 13, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-13 08:24:20-05

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The family of slain local musician Kyle Yorlets has confirmed that the teenagers accused of Yorlets' killing will be tried as adults.

Yorlets family confirmed to reporters that the Juvenile Court of Davidson County notified them that the case of 15-year-old Diamond Lewis and 16-year-old Decorrius Wright was being transferred to adult court.

Yorlets' mother, Deb Yorlets, said she's "very glad" and this is "what they'd been waiting for."

The Yorlets, who was 24, was shot and killed in February of last year during a robbery attempt in an alley behind his north Nashville home. Prosecutors and his family had been asking that the suspects be tried as adults.

If convicted, Wright and Lewis face 51 years in prison. Three other young suspects remain in the juvenile system.

"Finally the news we have been waiting for -- we just received notification from the DA's office in Nashville. Both suspects Wright and Lewis have been transferred to adult court to be tried for Kyle's murder. Justice will be served!" read an update on the Facebook page "Justice for Kyle Yorlets.

This story was originally published by Laken Bowles on WTVF in Nashville, Tennessee.