Police: Officers pulled shocked 8-year-old off live power line at Warren playground

Posted at 9:36 AM, Aug 30, 2022
and last updated 2022-08-30 13:37:35-04

(WXYZ) — Warren police say an 8-year-old boy was shocked by a live power line on the playground of an elementary school on Tuesday morning.

According to police, it happened near McKinley Elementary School on Toepher near Sharrow around 9:15 a.m.

Chopper 7 was over the scene, which showed several police and fire crews.

We're told the boy is in critical condition at the hospital.

Police were in the area on another call when they saw the 8-year-old boy clinging to the wire and his 10-year-old brother trying to pull him off. Officer pulled the 8-year-old from the power line and rushed him to St. John Hospital in Detroit with critical injuries. He has since been taken to Children's Hospital and is in critical condition.

The 10-year-old was not seriously injured and is in stable condition at St. John Main Hospital. Family members are with the children.

The two officers were also taken to the hospital to be evaluated.

It comes after severe storms Monday took down trees and power lines across metro Detroit, leaving more than 260,000 without power. The school was closed for the day as it was without power. Officials say the power line the children came into contact with was 4 feet off the ground. It is estimated it was carrying 4,800 volts.

The incident is still under investigation.

On Monday, a 14-year-old girl died after being electrocuted by a downed power line in Monroe.

It happened around 7:40 p.m. on Peters Street near Conant Avenue, not far from E 1st Street.

When authorities arrived, the victim was still in contact with the electrical line, the Monroe Department of Public Safety said. The electrical line fell as thunderstorms traveled through metro Detroit.

Authorities contacted DTE Energy to disconnect the power line, and emergency crews attended to the victim. After making contact with the victim, police learned that the teen died.

While investigating, detectives learned that the victim lived at a home where the incident happened. She was walking with a friend in the backyard when they believed they smelled a bonfire. The victim then reached for what she thought was a stick but was a charged electrical line.